Friday, May 2, 2008

Mid-Season Mid-Atlantic States Update...


For those who've checked by, I have literally laid down on my posting! Turkey Fever bit me so bad! Actually, I was in a state of panic in the weeks preceding our North Caroina season...We had reports from the NCWRC biologists that the last two spring hatches were bad, and our season might not be as those lately.

I had gone to our 1500ac. club every weekend listening for gobblers, but to myu dismay, did not hear anything. This was way off the norm. Could the state biologists be right? I was preparing to hit some public land if need be...You never can have too many places to turkey hunt!

Opening day April 12 could not have been a better moral booster for me! Our club took 4 gobblers that morning, with 8 members out and nearly all worked birds. I worked a bird and got him to 80yds.on a hillside, could see him strutting for one half hour through my Nikon binocs. Boy, was he pretty! He sent his jakes to search for me, and would not budge.

Eventually he left, and I gave up on him to go back to the clubhouse. My cousin was hunting nearby, and I believe killed him an hour later in the river bottom pasture. He had a gobbler, two jakes, and six hens come in to his decoy spread. He downed a nice 3yr. old., 21lbs., 1 1/4" spurs and 11in. beard. Congratulations to Marvin, I took pleaseure somewhat in the fact that I had gotten him "hooked" on turkey hunting and had mentored him just 2 yrs. and now he is a killing machine!

It's been 2 weeks in the season, we have had 12 turkeys harvested, 3 guys have limited out including myself. Most years this is our record, except last season I killed one in VA and made it 13 for the season. I look forward to 3-4 more gobblers anyways meeting their demise in the few weeks of North carolina season yet to come.

No comments: